FISHERMAN’S FRIEND SHED SERIES 2017
Congratulations to KC Men’s Shed from Castlemaine, Co. Kerry, who scooped top prize at this year’s Fisherman’s Friend Shed Series awards, hosted in the magnificent surrounding of the National Maritime Museum, Dun Laoghaire.
The judges plumped for KC’s Flight of the Dart after casting their eyes over each of the twenty-five finalists. Judges Mairead Lavery (Editor, Irish Country Living), Marcus Connaughton (Presenter, Radio 1’s Seascapes), Barry Sheridan (CEO, Irish Men’s Sheds Association) and Martin Stimson (Area Business Manager, Fisherman’s Friend) all remarked on the incredibly high standard of entries in this year’s competition.
Letterkenny Men’s Shed took the runners’ up prize with Life’s Toolbox, while Ballina Men’s Shed went home with the People’s Choice Award after their entry Water and Turf racked up an impressive 631 “likes” on Facebook.
Check out the video above to get a flavour of what was a fantastic occasion in Dun Laoghaire, and congratulations to all who took part!
Welcome to the Irish Men’s Sheds Association
Men don’t talk face to face; they talk shoulder to shoulderBarry GouldingThe Irish Men’s Sheds Association was set up in January 2011 with the purpose of supporting the development and sustainability of Men’s Sheds on the Island of Ireland. We are a charity focused on supporting a grass-roots network of sheds, workshops and meeting places for men of all ages across the whole of Ireland.
The Irish Men’s Shed Association (IMSA) is a member-based organisation formed to share information freely between Sheds and support communities and organisations wishing to establish a Shed. The IMSA as a national organisation represents the collective issues of Men’s Sheds in Ireland.
The Irish Men’s Shed Association will work towards a future where all men have the opportunity to improve and maintain their health and well-being by participating in a community Men’s Shed. To learn more about us and what we do, explore the site through the links above.
What is a Men’s Shed?
A Men’s Shed is a place where all men, regardless of age, background, or ability:
• Are respected, valued and belong, and can comfortably use and pass on their practical skills and knowledge.
• Learn through doing stuff together – each man is a teacher and a learner, each having different levels of skills, professional and practical, to share collectively.
• Can come together and help out in their communities.
• Can just come and have a chat and a cuppa if that is all they’re looking for.
• Can talk about things that are important to them, and can improve their own wellbeing by keeping physically, mentally and socially active.